Academic Program for Current Students
The B.A. in Public Policy Leadership requires students to complete the general education courses, major in Public Policy Leadership, and a minor field of study. Students who complete a second major have more than completed the requirement of a secondary field of study, and thus are not required to also complete a minor.
The degree sheet outlines these requirements and shows a sample four-year plan of study.
Public Policy Leadership major (Academic Year 2020-2021)
Students complete three courses outside of the department.
- POL 101. Introduction to American Politics
- ECON 202. Microeconomics
- ECON 203. Macroeconomics
Students complete 11 PPL courses, as listed below.
- PPL 101. Foundations of Public Policy Leadership
- PPL 210. Public Policy & Quantitative Analysis
- PPL 212. Critical Thinking, Communications & Public Policy
- PPL 300. Public Policy and Ethics
- PPL 310. Public Policy Design and Analysis
- One course in leadership/organization: PPL 370, 371, 372, 373, 374, 384, 399, 491
- One course in domestic policies: PPL 328, 331, 342, 345, 361, 362, 363, 375, 383, 384, 385, 386, 387, 389, 390, 399, 492
- One course in international policies: PPL 320, 329, 330, 340, 360, 376, 380, 381, 382, 388, 493
- 3 PPL advanced electives
The UM Catalog lists the current Public Policy Leadership (PPL) courses.
The same course may not satisfy more than one category. Students can use up to 6 credit hours of study abroad (PPL 496), up to 6 credit hours of thesis (PPL 402 and 403), and up to 3 credit hours of internship (PPL 497 and 499) toward the major, but the total credit hours used toward the major from all three combined (study abroad, thesis, and internship) cannot be over 9 credit hours.